March 20th marks the first day of spring and as I walked to work at 6.30am this morning the nip in the air did not give it away. The light was just coming over the mountains and their outline was so clear it felt like I was metres away instead of miles. With a snow base of 318cm/124in and 90% of the terrain open spring skiing is looking good. Let the snow melt a little in the morning and then hit it mid day for a more forgiving ride. We had a large dump last week of 35cm/14in but it has since cleared to sunny skies. You can’t help but start to think about the upcoming bike season, the adventure races, bbq’s by the lake and sunny beer patios. Although winter can be an adrenaline pumping blast, most locals will tell you that the summer season surpasses the winter madness.
To do list for Summer 2010;
- MOMAR – This mind over mountain race features epic biking, trail running and navigation. I did the Squamish sport course last year and it was a lot of fun, gearing up for Cumberland this year! Squamish May 22nd and Cumberland September 25th – link
- Camp at Black Tusk, then hike to top!
- Join WORCA – they run races as well as technique classes for all levels of riders – link
- Hike Goffrey Lakes – three stunning ice blue lakes in a row
- Take advantage of the great restaurant deals – Rim Rock Cafe is a must
- Ride on Women’s Wednesdays – learn how to ride narly downhill without the pressure of the boys breathing down your neck – heavily discounted – link
- Find the sunniest patio and sit on it!
More to follow!